Richard F. Bergner joined Ford + Bergner in 2012, bringing with him extensive experience in a variety of practice areas including oil and gas, business formations and litigation, and commercial and residential real estate transactions and litigation. Mr. Bergner assists the firm's clients in the context of complex estate, trust and guardianship litigation matters. He has a diversified business practice in respect of which he has represented individuals and various entities in a wide range of commercial and residential real estate transactions, as well as oil and gas matters, in the United States and Central and South America.
Mr. Bergner began his legal career as an Associate with Andrews, Kurth, Campbell & Bradley after receiving his LLB from the University of Texas in 1958, where he received numerous recognitions, including Moot Court Finalist, arguing before the Texas Supreme Court on Law Day. Mr. Bergner attended University of Texas for his undergraduate studies, graduating with Honors in 1955. Prior to that, Mr. Bergner was in the United States Marine Corps, having served in Korea.
In addition to the practice of Law, Mr. Bergner has served as an Independent Director of Equus Total Return, Inc., a New York Stock Exchange Business Development Corporation since 2005. Since that time, he has served as Chairman of the Board of Directors during a dissident shareholder proxy fight. He is currently serving as Chairman of the Corporate Governance and Nominating Committee.
- Texas Southern University Law School, Houston, Texas
- LL.B. - 1958
- University of Texas
- Honors: With Honors
- Complex Estate and Guardianship Litigation
- Business Formation and Litigation
- Commercial and Residential Real Estate
- State Bar of Texas
Current Employment Position
- United States Marine Corps
- Andrews, Kurth, Campbell & Bradley, Associate
- Independent Director of Equus Total Return, Inc.
- How to Get Away With Breaching Your Fiduciary Duties
- It’s Going to be OK: Transition to the New Estates Code